PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - One pilot union for all Australian pilots.
Old 24th May 2018, 23:45
C441

Received 118 Likes on 47 Posts
Quite simply the last time such representation was made.
They were both quite genuine, non-aggressive questions asked as I believe the Pilot's Associations have conducted their last few - indeed most that I recall - negotiations in a civilised manner*. You obviously disagree and I'd be interested in your specific examples.

Are you referring to the 'Red tie & PA campaign' AIPA conducted? Hardly thuggery. It had little or no impact on the commercial or operational efficiency of Qantas unlike a decision made by another group (or person) at about the same time. I'd be interested in exactly which campaign you consider was overly aggressive, or from which association came a 'union official' "spitting poison". The last Qantas Longhaul EA negotiations were apparently conducted in a very cordial manner. Disagreements yes, but solutions found without any poison, bile or thuggery.

I regularly meet with a Senior official of AIPA and a Senior manager of Qantas on company business. What impresses me most about the two of them is the way they can disagree on an aspect of the business that we discuss, but in an amicable way, reach an agreed solution through formal and informal communication. More than most employees in an airline, Pilots have a long term (often 30+ year) view of the ongoing viability of the business - in most cases significantly longer term than most managers. That should be treated as a positive, not a threat!

*Unlike other groups, particularly in the building industry, of which I have recent experience.