PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Which is the best helicopter for training?
Old 23rd May 2018, 07:01
rotorfossil

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven’t met an ideal training helicopter and I’ve flown most oft them. The 300 is the only one designed as a trainer, but is now too slow and the pitch attitude changes with speed are untypical. The 22 is too delicate and has bred a generation of instructors who are either “ on” the controls or try to correct student errors before they happen because of the very short intervention window. The old B47 was too sluggish, too slow, untypical in pitch attitude changes and needed far too much engineering time. The Hiiler 12 was even more so, had a very odd cyclic feel and big throttle/ lever coordination challenges. The R44 is the closest to the ideal in terms of handling, power and comfort but too expensive. However it was the type that I felt most comfortable as an instructor as you could allow the student to make mistakes ans see whether he corrected them himself. The Cabri is a good attempt, but also a bit delicate and expensive. I think that the fenestron introduces its own yaw handling peculiarities, ok if you are heading for an Airbus product.