PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cadet in Ryanair or Vueling?
View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2018, 19:30
tomuchwork

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@pudoc

Well, RYR is as it is. We ALL know what RYR is, it fits for some(for me it does, after more than 25 years in airline aviation I finally can go home after work, sleep in my own bed, see my kids grow up and NOT sit in a bloody hotel somewhere around the bloody world. For guys like me RYR is great. Ignoring the HQ BS of course as much as you can which is very easy if you are far away from DUB(which I am ;-) ) on a as small as possible base. Then you are fine.

Money is indeed good for any cadet, nearly no carrier can match that for a very green pilot.You need to value that. As for the "world leading training" you mentioned.... well, if you are a bit experienced and aged it is not really that world class. It is a stupid SOP training course going on for nearly 3 months(NTR) and in that time they barely teach you HOW to fly that so easy to handle(but very unergonomic, cannot stress that enough) 737. Even linetraining fails here very often because they NEED to work through that stupid linetraining workbook so you do all kinds of approaches but do not learn the most common ones properly BEFORE they release you to the line.
After that the real challenge starts and it needs a lot of experience to manage that first few months(as a Captain at least) to learn that bloody thing finally by YOURSELF. After that you are fine. Partly of experience, mainly because the 737 is a very easy aircraft, it is american after all and there it must be simple(which is no offence but actually a good thing in aviation if you remember test pilots dying in an A320 accident...).

I can understand that legacy carriers(worked for 2 of them by myself, both unfortunately are no more) doubt the quality of RYR training. I do. But it is just another thing you deal with as an RYR pilot which most likely makes us the most flexible guys in aviation business. And we can learn ANY SOP after we could deal with moron RYR ones(245 kts during descent, *facepalm* and omg ^^, and that in a jet aircraft). And that stupid "rings", nobody else uses them for approaches except us, heard some funny stories from recruitment sims when RYR cadets wanted to enter them and the checker did not let them ...

@45989

The 737 is indeed a very simple aircraft(to fly). IF you have a problem it becomes very aged. ANY modern aircraft(and yes, the 737 is NOT a modern aircraft, despite the "NG"^^) does a better job in feeding information to the pilots by EICAS and even some of them with ECAM(Airbus) actions and electronic checklists. The 737 has nothing in that direction, you need to go searching for lights.... Go/No go decissions are harder on this type then anything modern because you see(on modern aircraft) the problem within 1 second on the CAS without turning your head around. But the flying is simple, the mechanics behind as well. That is very true.
Unfortunately Boeing was to coward to design a "new" 737 based on a 777/787 cockpit and really make it a NG or MAX. Like that is still the old crap it is and always will be. And just because they did not want to make it a new typerating - so stupid.

Btw - worked as a forklift driver when I was young, many many many years ago financing my licenses. Not so easy as you think, especially if handling hazardous materials and loading them as fast as possible onto a truck. Being pushed by the boss AND the truckdriver to speed up a bit .... I am more relaxed in my 737 then I was on that forklift my friend....