PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying to Europe in small plane, avoiding visas
Old 21st May 2018, 21:47
BackPacker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sam Rutherford
I've heard of non-Americans successfully entering the US in a private plane without a visa (against the rules) and not having an issue (presumably the immigration guy didn't look too closely or 'missed it').

Has anyone ever heard a story to the contrary? Someone getting stopped and...

Have no intention of trying this myself, but would be interested to hear it if it's happened and how it ended.
There is one legal way. You fly to the last airfield at the Canadian side of the CAN/US border, rent a car, drive to the border crossing, apply for the VWP right there and then, get granted permission to enter under the VWP, do a 180 back to your plane, return the car to the rental agency and then fly into the US.

Anyway, my question is about the EU equivalent of the VWP. I know US citizens don't need to apply beforehand for a Schengen visa of some sort. They can just enter into the Schengen area (or, I presume, the UK) after disembarking from a commercial flight. But what if you're flying into the Schengen zone/UK in a private aircraft?