PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Private Helicopter
View Single Post
Old 21st May 2018, 02:32
John Eacott

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by lockwood16
Hi all. There is a private Helicopter owner flying around our neighbourhood from his own helipad on his property which is situated near a mix of housing and industrial buildings. There is a strip off clear land along a winding creek line, also bordered by large trees. If he took off along the creek line, he would definitely fly over houses before he reached a 1000 feet. I know that the min. height above built up areas is 1000 feet. I am asking Helicopter Pilots if it feasible for a helicopter to lift off and ascend to 1000 feet vertically and then fly off. Reverse for landing on every time the Helicopter is flown? Any advice appreciated. I am not against him flying his Helicopter, good on him, but he must follow the rules.
To answer the OP: no.

Especially an R22; it is not only not feasible to lift vertically to 1,000ft (which is a limit not required during take off and landing) but downright dangerous to descend vertically from such a height. One of the main reasons for using a helicopter is to NOT have to use an airfield and a runway.

If you are not against him flying a helicopter (your words) and he is following the rules then you would by default be supporting his operation