PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying to Europe in small plane, avoiding visas
Old 20th May 2018, 13:11
Jan Olieslagers

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Just for a beginning: you may have observed that Yugoslavia has ceased to exist. I am afraid you have a lot more preparation to do.

Skipping several steps of criticism, my bottom line is that, while crossing the Atlantic in a SEP is not entirely excluded - it has been done indeed, many times - it is a much more complicated story than you seem to realise. And certainly it will be one of the minor hassles to obtain the required visa's in your passport and to show them when required.

Some points not mentioned yet:
* survival equipment. To be even marginally safe you need to carry a raft, and to wear lifejackets. Not just carry lifejackets, wear them! All the time!
* comm's equipment. Things seem to have been changing, but there used to be a time HF radio was needed.
* IFR rating. I understand it is almost mandatory, though there have been exceptions.
* return flight. The usual weather will give you a tailwind on your outbound, conversely a headwind when returning home. This gets worse as you fly higher, which you want to do to limit the risks of ditching.
* &c &c &c

And what might you mean by "how many times would we have to refuse" ? Looks like a typo, perhaps, I can make nothing of it.