PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Does the RAF still have an all-weather capability?
Old 17th May 2018, 05:57
dash2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I understand that the Lanc not turning up was very disappointing (but couldn’t be helped) but I can assure you that the pilot of the Typhoon did their utmost to get through on time. They were on time on track until an impassable bank of cloud met the granite 15nm north of the target.

If the weather isn’t passable/legal then it is foolish/dangerous to press on (especially if there is no gap at all between the granite and the clouds...). I concur that with hindsight it would have been better not to turn up rather than to work very hard to reroute and get there with minimal fuel (enough for only one pass) and cause this level of disappointment/upset.

The messaging was poor but was a simple mix up by well meaning people (not all RAF) doing their best. I can understand the disappointment and anger from the public but am surprised to see it on this forum. The person that I feel for most is Johnny Johnson who was planned to be on the Lanc