Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Aircrew Forums > Military Aviation
Reload this Page >

Does the RAF still have an all-weather capability?

Military Aviation A forum for the professionals who fly military hardware. Also for the backroom boys and girls who support the flying and maintain the equipment, and without whom nothing would ever leave the ground. All armies, navies and air forces of the world equally welcome here.

Does the RAF still have an all-weather capability?

Reply

Old 18th May 2018, 20:23
  #61 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: uk
Age: 44
Posts: 44
Are we talking Mess Dinners here??
Misformonkey is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2018, 22:32
  #62 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: UK
Posts: 3,651
Beardy - Finland???
https://www.raf.mod.uk/raf100/news/t...ent-air-force/
Lima Juliet is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2018, 22:38
  #63 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: UK
Age: 63
Posts: 821
Originally Posted by Lima Juliet View Post
The Finnish Air Force was founded 6th March 1918. It was very small. Do you really take MOD PR as Gospel?

Last edited by beardy; 19th May 2018 at 18:11.
beardy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2018, 22:43
  #64 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Hanging off the end of a thread
Posts: 14,802
Buster IMC as explained, VFR is the other which is Visual Flight Rules, as in you can see the ground.
NutLoose is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2018, 08:12
  #65 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Quite near 'An aerodrome somewhere in England'
Posts: 24,937
In addition to cloud / visibility requirements, SERA only requires a pilot to be in sight of the surface to fly under VFR below 3000ft amsl…. Currently the MilAIP hasn't been updated to current criteria though.

You can fly under VFR above 8/8 cloud at greater heights, provided that you maintain the required minimum separation from cloud and flight visibility requirements appropriate to the airspace category and altitude / FL.

IFR is available whether flying in VMC or IMC; however, it is mandatory in IMC. VFR is only available in VMC.
BEagle is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2018, 13:30
  #66 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: UK
Posts: 3,651
Originally Posted by beardy View Post
The Finish Air Force was founded 6th March 1918. It was very small. Do you really take MOD PR as Gospel?
Do you really believe that ONE borrowed aircraft from Sweden compares to the Royal Air Force (22,000 aircraft, 300,000 officers and men in November 1918)? Further that the RAF cannot claim to be the world’s first independent air force when it was officially formed on 1st April 1918 because it was beaten to it by twenty-five days by the Finnish Air Force with one borrowed aeroplane!??

With ONE aircraft they couldn’t even claim to be a Flying Club!!!

PS. it’s “Finnish” with 2x “n”
Lima Juliet is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2018, 13:39
  #67 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: UK
Posts: 3,651
BEagle - SERA not applicable as military use RA2307? https://assets.publishing.service.go...07_Issue_8.pdf

The same applies for the Air Nav Order under Article 249 in that:

It is lawful for the Rules of the Air, or for any obligation in SERA the breach of which would otherwise be an offence under this Order, to be departed from by an aircraft of which the pilot in command is acting as such in the course of the pilot in command’s duty as a member of any of Her Majesty’s naval, military or air forces.

So SERA does not apply
Lima Juliet is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2018, 13:54
  #68 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: London, New York, Paris, Moscow.
Posts: 3,620
Originally Posted by pr00ne View Post
Timelord,

Tornado GR4 in Afghanistan, and strafe as well as low level show of force, far more impressive, noisy and shocking than a Harrier! Typhoon and Tornado GR4 in Syria/Iraq currently. It's all on the MoD website on a daily basis of sorties, weapons used and effect achieved, go look for yourself rather than carping on about it never happening.
Indeed.

glad rag is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2018, 14:30
  #69 (permalink)  
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Lincolnshire
Age: 75
Posts: 16,083
Fascinating and something there for CGI film makers, bullets don't fly straight or arrive in a straight line.

What was the ECO fail message?
Pontius Navigator is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2018, 16:29
  #70 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: UK
Posts: 1,749
Originally Posted by Pontius Navigator View Post
What was the ECO fail message?
ECU Electronic Control Unit?
spekesoftly is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2018, 18:19
  #71 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: UK
Age: 63
Posts: 821
Originally Posted by Lima Juliet View Post


Do you really believe that ONE borrowed aircraft from Sweden compares to the Royal Air Force (22,000 aircraft, 300,000 officers and men in November 1918)? Further that the RAF cannot claim to be the world’s first independent air force when it was officially formed on 1st April 1918 because it was beaten to it by twenty-five days by the Finnish Air Force with one borrowed aeroplane!??

With ONE aircraft they couldn’t even claim to be a Flying Club!!!

PS. it’s “Finnish” with 2x “n”
Thank you for correcting my spelling. I made no comparisons, just pointed out dates. The RAF has an enormous amount to be proud of without resorting to jingoistic hubris. Let's be generous and let the Finns have their place in history.
MOD PR is a bit like the gospels, scripted by people who weren't there and who have a vested interest in painting a good, if incomplete picture .
beardy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2018, 20:53
  #72 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Quite near 'An aerodrome somewhere in England'
Posts: 24,937
Lima Juliet, not quite...

Read para 40 of RA2307(1) and compare it with the relevant section of the MilAIP.

I've pointed this out to AIDU and was assured that the error will be corrected shortly; eventually the MilAIP will feature as a subset of the UK Civil IAIP.
BEagle is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2018, 07:45
  #73 (permalink)  
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Lincolnshire
Age: 75
Posts: 16,083
Originally Posted by spekesoftly View Post
ECU Electronic Control Unit?
Thank you, different meaning in years gone by.

In this case was it significant? Certainly didn't stop the 'show of force'. Not bad for one cannon. As an aside, I watched a qualification practice on the range. It was pretty close to end of twilight when she finished (either way) and we could barely see the jet. Very impressive.
Pontius Navigator is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2018, 08:10
  #74 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Hanging off the end of a thread
Posts: 14,802
Originally Posted by pr00ne Timelord,

Tornado GR4 in Afghanistan, and strafe as well as low level show of force, far more impressive, noisy and shocking than a Harrier! Typhoon and Tornado GR4 in Syria/Iraq currently. It's all on the MoD website on a daily basis of sorties, weapons used and effect achieved, go look for yourself rather than carping on about it never happening.
And that's the problem it isn't on the news, its okay saying they are there, but without Joe Public seeing it night after night on the 9 oclock news it isn't happening in their eyes.
NutLoose is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2018, 11:57
  #75 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: London/Oxford/New York
Posts: 1,951
NutLoose,

But it iS on the news, that's where this particular member of Joe Public saw it, on Sky and BBC News with footage of Akrotiri. It might not be on every day but maybe that's because it IS happening virtually every day so it isn't actually news?
pr00ne is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2018, 17:09
  #76 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Horsham, England, UK. ---o--O--o---
Posts: 978
Arrow

Originally Posted by Pontius Navigator View Post
Thank you, different meaning in years gone by.

In this case was it significant? Certainly didn't stop the 'show of force'. Not bad for one cannon. As an aside, I watched a qualification practice on the range. It was pretty close to end of twilight when she finished (either way) and we could barely see the jet. Very impressive.
Not bad for one cannon.

Why one cannon when the GR4 has two! The F3 only had one..
Out Of Trim is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2018, 18:33
  #77 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: UK
Posts: 3,651
Originally Posted by Out Of Trim View Post
Not bad for one cannon.

Why one cannon when the GR4 has two! The F3 only had one..
The GR1 had two 27mm but the GR4 only has one like the F3...


Lima Juliet is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2018, 16:34
  #78 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Horsham, England, UK. ---o--O--o---
Posts: 978
Thanks for the correction!

I missed that change from the GR1.. Why did they remove one?
Out Of Trim is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2018, 16:45
  #79 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Scotland
Posts: 261
Originally Posted by Out Of Trim View Post
Thanks for the correction!

I missed that change from the GR1.. Why did they remove one?
To make space for the FLIR and its electronics
Timelord is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service