PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - King Air down at Essendon?
View Single Post
Old 14th May 2018, 12:04
Car RAMROD

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kellykelpie
Heard today that there’s little doubt by those in the know that it’s friction locks. After maintenance, if the locks are loose, the left throttle retards causing a bank to the left. Similar accident in the US recently. One every 10 years I was told...

kelly, it wouldn't surprise me if this was the case. It's (friction) been known about in the king air community for a long time but unfortunately not as wide as one would like- even guys with a decade plus on type have not known about it. I originally brought up the friction lock and power lever slide way back early in the thread- not as a speculative cause to this accident but to hopefully inform others about what can happen with it (because it can present and feel like an engine failure, and if you aren't aware about it and react incorrectly it can catch someone out. It shouldn't but it can).

I have my own gut feeling as to what may have occurred. I can think of several plausible scenarios based on face value and the information presented thus far, but other than talking about generalities and tech specs I'm not voicing my gut feeling as I want to wait for the report.

PS; it doesn't even need to be maintenance that has loosened them. Frictions are a specific checklist item, straight from the horse's mouth (manufacturer). Both/either can slide back, not just the left (though the left is the more likely one to do so).