PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Can an American get a job in Australia?
View Single Post
Old 9th May 2018, 20:50
the quiet 1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good morning Mr Clunk. First the good news Try New Zealand. Air NZ looking for pilots across the jet and regional turbo prop fleets. Have even been advertising in Oz for F/Os in the
regional fleets. Also Jetstar looking for pilots on their A320 and Dash8-300 operations. Seniority lists in operation here, so you will have to join as an FO, or Second officer in the Air NZ Jet fleet.There are direct entry FO positions going on on to the A320 fleet at the moment depending on manpower requirements. As far as
progression goes to command in the Air NZ regionals, I think the record so far is 18 months. Jet fleet a bit longer, although with what is going on at the moment, people with 6-7 yrs in the jet fleet are getting A320 commands. The Air NZ regional operations have bases in various provincial cities around NZ. Air NZ based in Auckland, with domiciles in Wellington and Christchurch.You could also try Qantas( Jet Connect) and Virgin, they too are looking for crew in their NZ operations.
The bad news(sort of), is the immigration process. I have no knowledge of it so you will have to make your own enquiries there. I would suggest you contact Air NZ in the first instance, as to what might be required, as we do have a number of overseas nationalities working for us. In regards of licences, contact NZ CAA, regarding FAA conversion to NZ ICAO licences.From memory, the licence held and your aviation experience may dictate what exams and re-qualifications required to convert to NZ ICAO licence. Most operators prefer ATPL,or CPL with ATPL exam credits.
Hope this helps. There is plenty going on in the South Pacific and Asia at the moment aviation wise, so if you are experienced and looking at alternate options, you will probably find what you need down this way .
Good luck.