PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A320 high engine vibration with smell of burning.
Old 30th Apr 2018, 10:50
Mooneyboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A320 high engine vibration with smell of burning.

Hello all,

A high engine vibration on the A320 directs you to the QRH procedure. This clearly states that an ECAM vibration advisory alone does not require an engine shut down.

I had this situation in the sim a while back so didn't shut the engine down but then not long after instructor calls to say there is a smell of burning and small amount of smoke. So I decided this was more than a coincidence with the ECAM advisory so shut the engine down and all debrief points afterwards that this was the correct decision.

I flew with a colleague not long ago and he had the same situation but instead of shutting the engine down he ran the Smoke/fumes removal kept the engine running at idle. This he did because of the section in the high vibration QRH saying 'high engine vibration may be accompanied by cockpit and cabin smoke and/or the smell of burning. This may be due only to compressor blade tip contact with associated abradable seals'. Does this phrase imply its exceptable to keep the engine running whilst having smoke/burning? I would still be very uncomfortable running an engine that's producing a burning let alone smoke even if you were removing the smoke with the smoke removal QRH.

Any my thoughts or ideas would be great.

Mooneyboy