PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Are Australian flying instructors being "poached" by airlines?
Old 22nd Apr 2018, 09:17
Bend alot

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by LeadSled
Flying Bear,
That's what I would have thought, until I was faced with exactly that, AND --- it is not confined to civilian pilots.
Don't forget that the majority of pilots that now make up the crews of most major European and many Asian airlines had about 250 hours or so when they wound up in the right hand seat of a "heavy" ---- this has been progressively so since the mid-1960s.
I have never been able to really differentiate between a pilot with "bush" time and a pilot who has run up several thousand hours as an instructor. Indeed, I would say that "mentoring" etc. is largely absent and the value of all that "traditional GA" time is a bit of a myth. A devoutly held myth, but still a myth.
Tootle pip!!

"Traditional GA" will always have a yarn to tell - but a factual yarn or just a story. Most are not myth.

From knowing the smell of eaten turtle to a scud run in a rapid weather change. I think the idle chat would be a differentiating difference between the two.

Must say the yarns of the Top End differ from that of the Delta "Bush Pilots" differ but have much in common - To have done both is a rich man in life experience. I am sure other such as PNG also makes one have a tale or two to tell.