PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NAS on the skids?
View Single Post
Old 1st Oct 2003, 03:18
divingduck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post The NAS debate

Well guys, I have watched this debate with great interest, not because I have any stake in it whatsoever, but because it is a very serious issue.

I agree with whoever said it a short while back, stop bagging each other for God's sake.

I am not a pilot, I am an ATC. Before all the usual suspects start to flame me for having the temerity to post on a Professional pilots network I would ask that if that were the case only Professional pilots be asked to contribute.
That of course leaves out most lighty pilots, nes pas?

I also do not live in Oz any longer, I am currently happily abiding in the Middle East, so you can see that I really have no axe to grind whatsoever.

The only thing I would point out is that the Professional pilots ie the heavy metal guys and the ATC's have to live with and deal with this system every day like it or not.

The "weekend warrior" types that make up AOPA get to deal with it roughly an hour or so every other week.

Naturally we will all have different viewpoints. Let us engage in rational debate for the good of all.

One minor point that I would like to make is that many of the AOPA guys that have commented on this thread have been in the "what's in it for me" mode.

I think it needs pointing out that the ATC and Professional pilots that have been copping quite a bit of stick here are thinking of the travelling public..ie plain old Joe that buys his ticket to fly to Kal or Alice or Rocky etc.

Finally, those that think that the ATC's are trying to protect their jobs should wake up a bit. There are many many jobs available around the world for controllers, sometimes at vastly increased salary packages....we dont' need to protect them here.
Perhaps you should walk a mile in the other guys shoes before spitting the vitriol.

Good luck with it all.

stay safe, orderly and expeditious.