PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - One pilot union for all Australian pilots.
Old 21st Apr 2018, 08:34
Don Diego

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Virginexcess, when AIPA changed their rules to cover Q regional pilots the pilots that they embarked on this for were not even their members, they had some dodgy "give us $50 now and the rest later" so there is a huge difference between then and now i.e. AFAP acting to retain it's existing members.
The bargaining power aspect is interesting, one would like to think that AIPA thought of this prior to the rule change and that if in fact there was any negative effect then they would not have proceeded. Then a few years later you could ditto VA, so either they don't consider having multiple unions covering the same group of employees in one business is counterproductive or they just don't care?? The latest stunt from their offshoot (VIPA) and the rule change there suggests to me the latter. The numbers are interesting and AFAP has considerably more members, and as I wrote earlier this is about giving those who wish to stay with AFAP the right to do so.
I am with you on the volunteer thing, it has had it's day. The notion of an umbrella type organisation is not without merit.
Beer Baron, that is just history, no hint of payback from me, too busy doing constructive things.