PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NAS on the skids?
View Single Post
Old 30th Sep 2003, 22:09
gaunty

Don Quixote Impersonator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tsnake

Thanks, I accept the view, yes there is some work to do, it will take some time to turn around and I will take your observation on board, however the phone hasn't stopped all day with requests from the media for our position and comments.

We do not run our business and negotiate with Government and Regulator in a way to satisfy what appears to be the medias insatiable need for sensation, I would be interested in your views on how you might have handled it.

It is outrageous, the public are now scared sh!tless about something that hasn't even happened, nor is going to.

Footage of Jumbos approaching Sydney airport with the voiceover suggesting that "invisible" lighties are going to be charging across their path and crashing into them just isn't on.

A senior journo told me today it is just too difficult a subject for them, so they revert to "death plunge" mode. The public know even less, so any information is going to completely confuse them.

Civil Air and the airline pilots are entitled to their view of the universe, but they should be a whole lot more responsible about how they present it.

It is in the same mode as the Airports mob suggesting that the new system will allow terrorists to enter airport airspace loaded up with missiles and bombs without telling anyone. I'll bet they haven't done their Dangerous Goods Certificate, they'd better watch out, CASA will get em.

Ron Lawford who has been fielding the calls on this issue is hoarse from responding and we haven't finished by a long shot yet.

Let's see what came out of the meeting between them and M Smith today and we'll go from there.

Last edited by gaunty; 30th Sep 2003 at 22:33.