PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - One pilot union for all Australian pilots.
Old 17th Apr 2018, 03:25
virginexcess

Received 24 Likes on 3 Posts
DD

That gets back to my first post where we need an umbrella organisation that encompasses unions/organisations that represent pilots from specific sectors and/or Companies. Income protection/Loss of Licence/MBF funds could be amalgamated so that swapping from one representative body to another is penalty free, that way, as a pilot changes employer they can be part of the organisation that is most relevant to their employment, but still have continuation of their chosen Licence protection fund.

For us to be as effective as possible in furthering our profession, we need to speak to each management group with one voice and I believe that is done most effectively through a single representative body.

If the AFAP is indeed proposing to hang on to members that are moving to Qantas, then I would expect that will have negative long term consequences for QF pilots.

We need some progressive thinkers from all unions who are prepared to hammer out a solution to the problem. The barrier to getting this done is that most trade unions are focused on self interest first and member interest second, and I admit that would be very hard to change. The only way it can change is for members to want it and to get organised and demand it.

At present I doubt there is enough will amongst members to do it, but it starts with conversations like these and it takes time.