PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK pilot shortage admitted by TC
View Single Post
Old 16th Apr 2018, 21:13
INNflight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Joker11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
Qantas says it has issues crewing the B737, but if you apply to Qantas and pass the interview process you become a SO. If they needed pilots they would at least offer direct entry FO as a minimum?

If applying to Lufthansa, I bet you if eligible, a position as FO with German Wings or other Lufthansa LCC offshoot would be offered. I don't think you will be flying for the legacy carrier?

Yes. You go direct to Eurowings. Austria was hiring for their fleet and Swiss just got new labour contracts.
For the record, LH classic/mainline is taking on all the hundreds of cadets they've placed with their subsidiaries at Swiss/Edelweiss/Austrian if they choose to come back (most do of course). I know a few who have gotten their joining dates for this year, both on LH Cargo and mainline.
Problem is they've got enough supply with the couple of hundred ex-LH cadet pilots ("NFFs") to fill their mainline needs, so all applying who didn't train with them are going to go to Eurowings on a different contract.

Still, there's a noticeable shortage here even with the majors. At my airline we're seeing things that usually don't happen. F/Os quitting one major to join another. F/Os quitting in general to go work somewhere else. Never happened in the past years.
Austrian is facing a crewing problem, Swiss is taking direct entry type-rated F/Os onto the A320 because their in-house cadets can't cover demand and training time isn't sufficient and Edelweiss is recruiting heavily for direct-entry F/Os and CMDs also, facing a shortage.

It's a pilot's market here at the moment, even with the majors. Get on the train while you can (and if you're fluent in German... lol).