PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - One pilot union for all Australian pilots.
Old 16th Apr 2018, 07:58
Beer Baron

Received 158 Likes on 51 Posts
Have any of you naysayers bothered to actually find out what this is all about or are you content to just keep heaping sh%t on everything AFAP?? Lead, Tuner, Is & Beer Baron??
Yes Don Diego, I do know what this is all about and I stand by all of my previous comments. I have not ‘heaped sh%t’ on AFAP at all, I have only called out the false narrative that you are letting run about this move.

I don’t know why you guys are being so coy about the plans if they are so innocent. AFAP don’t want their members quitting AFAP and joining AIPA when they get a job at Qantas. This will also allow current Qantas pilots/AIPA members to join/swap to AFAP.

So what is this NOT about; ‘Unity’
This is nothing to do with the pilot unions of Australia working together for the betterment of the industry. This is AFAP wanting to cover pilots who would have otherwise been covered by AIPA. It is a zero sum game.

Some posters have tried to suggest that this is in some way a merger or AFAP wanting to work together with AIPA. Will you admit that it is nothing of the sort?

Others have spoken about how good it would be if Qantas pilots and Virgin pilots could work constructively together to improve both their situations. Well this happens already today under AusALPA. A broadening of this sort of collaboration as eloquently described by virginexcess is entirely possible. But will you admit that this is NOT what AFAP is attempting?

AFAP has not reached out to AIPA at all to work together for the industry. And if that is some sort of stage 2 of this plan then starting out by trying to dilute AIPA’s coverage of Qantas pilots seems a very odd way of trying to form closer bonds.