PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Here we friggin go !
View Single Post
Old 15th Apr 2018, 16:03
POBJOY

Received 79 Likes on 27 Posts
Tread Carefully

PB84 Golden Rule

As alluded in the post's the 'Council' have to be seen to follow up complaints or observations from third parties.

They frequently encourage you to 'Just make an application old boy' which may be asked for in a very friendly way, but it merely puts you at risk on two counts.
A:- it presumes YOU NEED to make an application (when in fact you do not), and B:- What do you do when the application is refused (which is entirely likely) even if the actual planning officer recommends approval.
It only needs a couple of switched on locals to bombard the Council with complaints, or the threat of a judicial review, and your 'friendly' planning officer suddenly becomes your executioner.
Your initial action should be to DO NOTHING,ADMIT NOTHING, and certainly not to commit anything to paper or e-mail or even telephone conversation.
The Council do not like having to take enforcement action as it puts them on the back foot as to what they are trying to enforce against, and they frequently get it wrong in unusual cases.
Also there may be different rules in Scotland or even local bylaws.

If you have an 'off the record' chat with the planning officer do not say anything that may harm your case (they are not allowed to record conversations anyway) and merely ask what action they propose to take. This will at least forewarn you on what action you need to prepare for.

There are planning consultants out there who can advise, but local knowledge is always useful. I would suggest a call to the LAA at Turnweston would be in order as they are an organisation that has a lot of dealings with 'strips' so they will know the best people in your area to advise you.
Good Luck and remember 'Loose Lips Sinks Ships'

PM me if you want I have been down this route more than once so may be able to 'point you' in a positive direction. !!!