PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EC notice on BREXIT issued, licenses/certificates invalid
Old 15th Apr 2018, 01:16
polax52

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RHS
Absolute nonesense. IAG buying Norwegian (apparently, maybe) has nothing to do with IAG somehow shifting the business and disposing of BA (their BY FAR most valuable asset).

Everyone will play hardball, and then realise where the UK lies, if EASA/Europe plays hardball with UK aviation, then AF/Lufty/KLM will suddenly find flying to the US takes an extra couple of hours.

There’s a huge shortage of (good) pilots in Europe. If in your world EASA suddenly say to fly a European aircraft you must have a European passport (as you imply) then Easy/Ryanair/Norwegian/Virgin/BA etc. Etc. Stop flying as most of their pilots are British.
Absolute nonsense. You're making a very foolish assumption that a single person is making decisions based on what is best case for Britain and the EU.

You, as I, do not know the reasons why there is now so much involvement between BA and Norwegian but it is reasonable to speculate that with only a year to go to Brexit and no final transition deal in place, certainly with regard to Aerospace, that IAG/BA need to to find a clear path to maintain access to their open skies deal with the U.S. That access is not currently guaranteed. You can wishful think but the various managements cannot.

We're not talking about access to Airspace, so your second paragraph is .....
irrelevant, let's say.

The final deal will come as a result of a lot of legalities, regarding what you are allowed to do when you're not in the EU, with a lot of additional input from vested interests such as KLM and Lufthansa. Those vested interests will not have the best interests of BA or Virgin at heart and if BA remains a non-EU company then those interests will have a lot to say about BA's future.

Your final paragraph; I understood that the result of the Brexit referendum was in large part about stopping freedom of movement. If I understand you correctly, there will not be freedom of movement from the EU to the UK but British Pilots will continue to enjoy the privileges that they currently enjoy. Well that's excellent news.