PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Here it comes: Syria
View Single Post
Old 14th Apr 2018, 16:31
andrewn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Easy Street
There’s no reason (other than funding) that we don’t have the biggest and bestest Air Force in the whole world. In the real world we have to live within politically-sustainable means. The 2010 SDSR set Tornado’s retirement at 2019 without any compensating uplift elsewhere, so a big win in 2015 was the plan for two additional Typhoon squadrons, which *are* the contingency you speak of. But they cannot be delivered while the Tornado remains in service, unless of course all the vested interests in both Houses of Parliament accept a reduction in Army manpower below 80k. Even that wouldn’t help much due to the delay while recruitment and training took place.

Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to keep Tornado going. But let’s be positive and reflect that (yet again) combat aircraft have proven their political utility; we have moved a long way from the ridiculous land-centric HERRICK-era arguments that would have stripped the fast jet fleets down to UK QRA only. With any luck their airships will be able to use the recent track record to solidify the rest of the F35 buy and future combat aircraft beyond. Bravo Tornado!
Personally I think it's time we got real - and stopped using phrases like "polically sustainable"! Trump and the French are both setting the example, by significantly redressing the balance after years of cuts. We now need to follow suit, scrap the manpower "cap" thing, commit to a fourth FJ MOB, fully fund the flying hours required. This shouldn't even be a debate, it should just be happening.

Take the point on GR4 though, the future is F35 I agree.