PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NAS on the skids?
View Single Post
Old 30th Sep 2003, 13:58
QSK?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Snarek:

Our dialogue this arvo has been quite enlightening from my point of view as, up to this point in time, I had considered AOPA's formal views on NAS to be as extreme and one-sided as the views of the opposition that you keep caning. It's good to see that you are thinking of the issues, and retaining an individual perspective. That is very important for all of us, and something which I respect.

I think my position re NAS and airspace reform sits comfortably somewhere between AOPA and CivilAir/AFAP; probably with a slight leaning towards the latter. Hopefully, you'll respect that too.

However, I won't endorse your comments on ATC for the following reasons:

1. Every system has its stakeholders and every stakeholder (in my view) has a perspective, as well as a right and an obligation to present that perspective in the interests of system safety and efficiency;

2. I have received nothing but professionalism and excellent service from all controllers/FSOs that I have had the pleasure to deal with over the past 30 years. I also count some controllers as my friends; and, lastly

3. For us to keep "bagging" other stakeholders is a waste of time and counter-productive, in my view. If we hope to achieve the best airspace system, it is far more beneficial that we focus our efforts on the issues not the personalities; "play the ball, not the man" is a quote that comes to mind with the imminent kickoff of the Rugby World Cup just around the corner. Obviously, you and I have different positions on the NAS issue, snarek, but I have found its been very productive that we were able to arrive at common ground on the implementation and use of technology. That's good news, and represents what this forum should always be about.

No, hopefully, I'll continue to focus on the issues at hand and stay away from the mud slinging. My experience is that people will place more value on what you have to say, and respect your position even if they don't agreee with it, if you can do that successfully!

Take care and safe flying, AK!

PS: Controllers: My point 3 also applies to you guys/gals who want to sling the mud around! Focus on the issues and arguments because, you never know, you might be lucky enough to just sway an AOPA member back towards your viewpoint! Makes far more sense to me in the long run.