PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Heavy casualties reported in Algerian IL78 crash
Old 11th Apr 2018, 17:17
guadaMB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Officer Kite
An investigation of that type is beyond my pay grade, but what people are asking is why it's them so often. And from an aviation perspective it may be number of accidents, but from a public opinion perspective, number of deaths are what trigger angry responses. 359 deaths in 4 yrs has provoked a pretty angry response so far.
I understand the real sense of your words, but the analytic of accidents against operational activities cannot be made considering the death toll.
Fatalities are HUMAN and stats are FIGURES.

An Air Force (the Algerian) of about 600 ACs is just a "number" but if we confront that number with the total operational activity (unknown for myself) we could have a third figure of "issues average" that cannot be related to the death toll. In a 600+ fleet may have a disastrous accident figures with very little deceased people (or the contrary).

The confrontation of flights vs fatalities could be made studying commercial airlines, not military air forces.

Last edited by guadaMB; 11th Apr 2018 at 17:21. Reason: Adding last sentence.