PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - One pilot union for all Australian pilots.
Old 11th Apr 2018, 14:44
LeadSled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arthur D,
I don't really know enough about the current situation to make a useful comment on your points, but even the US ALPA has not been universal, with quite a variety of representation models in US developing over the years.

Do the "TN" pilots want out of AIPA and back to AFAP, given AFAP recent performance, why?? To have two unions fighting each other in one airline is a gift to the airline's industrial mob.

Aviation is too small in Australia already, but AFAP attitudes are hardly helpful, they are more likely exacerbate division than heal.
AFAP's contribution on the consultative bodies, in which I have been involved over many years has generally been negative.

The few Virgin pilots I recently worked with on technical issues seem to be happy with their current arrangement, but are they representative of feelings within VIPA, I can't tell from such a small sample.

What I do know is the visceral sectoral hatreds that seem to bedevil aviation (not just airlines) in Australia do the sector no good at all, it is almost like religious doctrinal differences.

Such stark separation simply does not exist anywhere else that I have personal experience, which is UK, CA and US.

Tootle pip!!

PS:
Re. formation of AIPA, re-read what I said about AFAP technical "policies" and how disastrous they would have been for Qantas, these were major issues for our jobs and futures.. As for the personalities, the AFAP President at the time did a great job of throwing fuel on the fire, and he was not short of barrackers in Melbourne. As for "Qantas" supporting the split, if you mean the corporation broadly, I don't think they cared too much, if you mean Flight Operations, the formation of AIPA was well supported from top to bottom, I only recall one management dissenter, and he was anti unions period.

Last edited by LeadSled; 11th Apr 2018 at 15:01.