PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How not to evacuate a plane
View Single Post
Old 10th Apr 2018, 08:23
wiggy

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
At the risk of re-entering the fray....TBH personally I'm not sure some of the language helps, but:

1. 9/11 has been brought up as perhaps justification for self help/ DIY whenever any threat is perceived. Can I ask what the current advice for evacuation from "ultra" high rise business premises in the States?

2. During a wide body evacuation a handful of years back a cabin crew member was very very nearly ejected onto the tarmac by a panicking passenger who refused to respect the shouted commands being given to "wait, wait....." and/or recognise the fact that the slide she was diving for was yet to fully inflate...if the crew member had actually fallen she would almost certainly have suffered serious injury or perhaps death..luckily she was restrained (i.e. her clothing grabbed) by another passenger who wasn't rushing headlong for the opening at all costs......

There are two sides to this...so I'll state this one last time for the hard of reading - there are very real risks to a self initiated DIY evacuation. That said, well, if you are still minded to rush headlong for the doors, just please don't injure or kill anybody else en-route.

Last edited by wiggy; 10th Apr 2018 at 11:12.