PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How not to evacuate a plane
View Single Post
Old 4th Apr 2018, 06:50
wiggy

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by GrahamO
If staff paid for their flights, just like every other passenger, then airline revenues would increase and the cost of a commercial passenger ticket would be lower (Not a lot but these are facts)

So by giving away a ticket to staff for free the commercial passenger IS paying a higher cost.

maybe...OTOH...

1. “Giving always” Don’t think I have ever been given a free ticket for non-duty travel.

2. The tickets I purchase are standby...Probably 25% of the time the flights I have paid for are so full I end having paid up on flight deck jumpseat ....bit a poor show IMHO to charge the public rate for a seat that is not available to the general public.....no doubt you think differently...

3. Believe it or not ( I guess you won’t) These days company standby /jumpseat tickets are often pretty much pound for pound the same as a commercial bought well ahead of the flight....so fear you not, a lot of staff where I work actually do buy commercial tickets to remove the uncertainty of standby.

At many airline Staff travel is perhaps not quite the freebie perk you think it is, and methinks it is possible you are overestimating the effect on your travel budget.