PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How not to evacuate a plane
View Single Post
Old 4th Apr 2018, 01:16
pilot9249

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wiggy
Yes it does make a difference..because going outside through an exit may be even more life threatening....taking a worse case scenario do you want to open a door adjacent to a fire and let more smoke in, or perhaps evacuate onto a burning wing/down a rear slide into a fuel pool behind a burning engine?

In all honesty in the cabin you as an individual probably have little or even no idea as to the level, nature and location of an external threat. Performing a knee jerk “DIY” evacuation can actually raise the level of risk to everybody on board, as seems to have been demonstrated in this case.

There’s a heck of a lot more to a successful evacuation than simply throwing all the doors open..
I'm sat maybe 200 feet back from the flight crew.

I don't know what they know, but they can't see what I can see.

In any serious ground incident, the advantage may be 80/20 to the flight crew, but it sure as heck isn't 100/0.

My patience for the command will be deep and extensive based on a presumption of their profoundly superior knowledge.

But I don't have checklists to perform or hundreds of strangers to worry about.

If I'm burning or breathing smoke, I'm looking out the door and if I decide to then I'm leaving.

Hope to see you in court later.

Last edited by pilot9249; 4th Apr 2018 at 03:15.