PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Erosion of Pay and Conditions - What are we doing about it?
Old 29th Sep 2003, 12:06
longjohn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I learn't some time ago to look after one person - me.

The lessons of 89' prove that there is no such thing as solidarity amongst pilots, and that was in an era where solidarity meant far more than it does today.

You can carry on all you like about forming a 'new' 89 style all encompassing body of pilots, but at the end of the day, when the excrement hits the fan watch it all disintegrate.

I think it far more practical to accept the facts and look at ways to harness that.

Like most other professionals, maybe we should look at more mobility as a thing of the future. The best man for the job etc.

At the end of the day most other professionals do not seem to need unions or solidarity to command large salaries. A free system of movement between employers would encourage employers to retain staff or face more training or downtime. Ultimately, the better qualified and capable would gravitate to the better employers and so on. This is the way of the rest of the world, why should aviation be different.

Or else we can protect those who are insecure in their positions by forming mega unions to hide them in.