PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Norwegian B787 - FLL based
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2018, 15:33
510orbust

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My take and American BS

Having worked both in the UK and now the USA at a 121 carrier I can say this. Some Americans distain for Norwegian is utter BS. Most in the USA will try and compare legacy American / United / Delta with Norwegian and tell you NAS will bring down the US pilot contracts. They are not comparing apples to apples.

Why are they not comparing Frontier's pay or what Spirit pilots were making which was peanuts. Why don't they ever talk about holidays which are no where near European standards. Some airlines in the USA do have bonds, they don't like to mention those either.

Regional pilots are treated like cattle, even the American wholly owned pilots who work for the dangle of " flow " to mainline taking up to 9 years.

Next they will say " but we are talking equipment they fly " Ok then lets look at Atlas cargo flying 747 and 767s .

The fact of the matter is this, supply and demand. Wages are increasing in the USA not because management values pilots but because they can't get applicants through the door unless they bring up T/C .

The one thing NAS doesn't have is pilot commuting which is HUGE in the USA. I can commute home on nearly any airline for free and get jump seat if the cabin is full. This is a huge bonus for being able to live anywhere in the country.

Overall the Norwegian contract needs work but so do many US contracts. Making NAS out to be scabs is wrong but thats how the airline is looked at here and if you want to progress your career in the USA don't work at NAS unless that will be the last airline you want to work for here.