PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pax in cockpit during flight
View Single Post
Old 30th Mar 2018, 04:10
radken

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In 1968, on R&R from Nam, in the dark somewhere east of the Philippines, saw the ckpt dr was open and the lights were on dim...Looked pretty inviting so I got up and strolled in. FE had his feet propped up and was reading a novel...rt seat guy was busy ckng Loran (as I found out soon) data, and the Capt was sound asleep. I was a non pilot, btw, and co-pilot, knowing this, couldn’t wait to give me the $10 show around his little office in the sky. Even the FE got into it...Capt. was still asleep...that is until the 10kt autothrottle speed reduction demo began. Ha ha
You had to be there to witness how fast that left seat guy came to life the instant the speed began bleeding off. I don’t think his eyes were even open yet when “What the hell is going on!!” ripped out of his mouth as he sat straight up, looking for answers, and staring alternately at his f.o. and the panel... LOL... It was a humorous, great moment we all shared as his panic quickly subsided and laughter engulfed us in the front, and even the first few rows of tired, beat up guys, guys who hadn’t had much to laugh at all for the last six months or so of their lives.
A year and a half later I became a Private Pilot, and kept on flying until pricing forced me back into Zen and motorcycles full time. ‘Twas a different time indeed back in the golden days of the “friendly skies.” Keep reminiscing ya’ll..It’s practically all we have to hang on to anymore.