PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hand flying in todays jet transports
View Single Post
Old 29th Mar 2018, 11:15
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gentlemen: To clarify. I had not seen these videos until now, and very interesting they are; also the 'ainonline' link. I refer to the conclusions of ACI and the NTSB inputs. As I understand it, PF made full left/right rudder inputs to try and 'recover' the a/c during wake turbulence upsets. Was that necessary? I doubt it as I'm sure aileron would have been sufficient. In the ACI program it inferred that the use of rudder in this way was part of the AA training program and that after this crash their training program had been adjusted.
If this is the training video they referred to I'm surprised at the connection, because I agree it never says what was inferred. Equally, the training program continued with extensive simulator scenarios. I'm sure the instructor would not have allowed full left/right rudder technique to have been used.
Thus it might be considered that this was an individuals misunderstanding, and to blame an in-house training program for him using that technique might be overly severe. Yet that is what ACI/NTSB seemed to imply.
Don't shoot the messenger, but this video information does cause some reassessment of the message.

One could think they NTSB was too harsh. In the video the only mention of rudder was coordinated delicate use in a nose high scenario to help lower the nose towards the horizon in a coordinated rolling escape. In a nose low, bank in excess of 90, it was full rudder to help keep the nose up during roll towards the horizon, and then only until the bank reduced passing 60. The wake turbulence did not create either of these scenarios.
Curious as to how the finger wagging ended up targeting this training program, unless there are other videos specifically to low speed wake turbulence encounters. But as 'misd-agin' says,
"And then compare the flight conditions AA587 was at - normal pitch, normal bank, normal AOA, normal speed. The accident had nothing to do with high AOA, or an ability to roll, or a requirement for improved roll performance to recover the aircraft.
The training program didn’t teach what Rat5 posted."

and I agree with you. What was the response of AA to the report? It was suggested that the training program was adjusted. Is that true?