PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Time to upgrade to FO and CN at Cathay
View Single Post
Old 28th Mar 2018, 16:50
BCFPilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Trafalgar
You will sit as an SO for 5-6 years, logging NO time. You will have effectively crippled your career just when you had the chance to actually make yourself into an airline pilot. Further, you will be stuck living like a rat in a barely livable space (300 sq/ft) paying about $3000 usd /mo for that. Don't even get me started on the non-existent staff travel, appalling medical, joke of a retirement. Add to that the fact that you will work for the worst airline management in the industry, one that belittles you, lies to you, cheats you, steals from you and basically ensures that every day you are here you will regret. Other than that, come on in, the water's lovely! Take the job close to home, actually FLY airplanes and be grateful you dodged the bullet. (oh, and as for flying long-haul, that particular desire will be crushed out of you very quickly at CX, with the appalling rosters and minimum time layovers, crappy hotels and inadequate allowances. You will very quickly be too fatigued to care).
Thanks all for the feedback regarding my personal situation, I highly appreciate it.
It is still hard to believe and to imagine for such a world recognized airline, but perhaps I just don't want to see it.

As a current low timer (800 hr TT) flying long haul at Cathay seems like the ultimate dream come true, even if a transition takes 5 years to FO.

It's still going to be a tough decision for me, but again I appreciate all the feedback, advice and warnings.

Chances are now most likely I will pursue my job offer in Europe and fly short haul for the next years.
Perhaps, I can join another long haul airline as FO after those years.