PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hand flying in todays jet transports
View Single Post
Old 26th Mar 2018, 17:23
Vessbot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a similar problem. I come from a background of mostly teaching in taildraggers with significant adverse yaw. Then I flew a King Air a while, with yaw damp and where the pedals moved with the yaw damp (they were hard-linked to the rudder). So in turbulence I could feel them moving under my feet, and what I thought the rudder should be doing, was in nice sync with what it was doing, whether it was commanded by me or by the yaw damp.

Fast forward to the CRJ, where the pedals don't move with the yaw damp so the feedback loop to my brain was broken. So in turbulence, my brain instinctively wanted to make all these inputs, and was not satisfied (like it was in the King Air) that they were happening. So my feet made them happen. Of course the yaw damp was also making them happen (and of course not at the exact same time), so the sum total was a big sloppy mess.

So the training captain told me to put my feet on the floor. This was an insult to my sensibilities, but I did it and it worked. And up to that point I had thought "feet on the floor" was only an expression for us true stick & rudder pilots to sneer at!

Last edited by Vessbot; 26th Mar 2018 at 19:14.