PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Singapore Appraoch & Departures Airspace
View Single Post
Old 24th Mar 2018, 22:12
training wheels

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nomorecatering
Singapore being something like 10nm in diameter, who controls the airspace around Changi, given that Singapore is surrounded by sovereign territory on all sides. Does Changi have control of other nations airspace.

Am I right to guess that Singapore control might be a multi national joint venture. Say if you are on approach to Batam Island (Indonesia), are you talking to an Indo controller that's in the Singapore Facility.

Just curious how it works.
I used to be a flight instructor based in Batam so I know this area quite well. Batam tower controls the terminal area within a 10 mile radius of Batam airport below 3000 ft. Above 3000 ft, the airspace is controlled by Singapore Radar. South of Batam below 3000 ft, you're controlled by Tanjung Pinang approach (Indonesian FIR). Above 3000 ft, you're in Singapore controlled airspace.

Tanjung Pinang approach radar is quite ancient having visited their radar facilities a few years ago and they sometimes don't pick up targets below 3000 ft, where as Singapore's radar does. On cross country flights to the west of Batam, Singapore radar would see us on their screens but after getting transferred to Tanjung Pinang, we often get 'not identified' on their radar.

There is talk that Indonesia wants to control all of the area south of Batam above 3000 ft (and charge the users for transiting their airspace) in the next few years.