PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Arthur Morris @ BNE
View Single Post
Old 28th Sep 2003, 08:29
Jamair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'M Gone g'day bloke; I didn't bag the guy 'cause I don't know him; but I do bag the birds. (That's the PA31s, not the chicks.....)

I have also flown rig workers and while they often have a somewhat different perspective on the world than other passengers, I would not refer to them as 'rig pigs' any more than I would refer to other clients in that manner. I have had some very enlightening conversations with these folks.

Perhaps the contractor does not require nice aeroplanes, just safe ones - fair enough. BUT this operator also flys ad hoc Charter and in my opinion the condition of the aircraft reflects very poorly on the industry generally. Note: MY OPINION.

Visualise someone hopping off a International or Domestic jet or even a Regional turboprop, onto one of these aircraft for the last stage of a journey. Would their opinion of General Aviation be enhanced or detracted by the interior of torn, faded, smelly orange velour seats and the exterior still showing the faded RFDS artwork, with the leading edges and radome abraded down to metal / fibreglass? Passengers don't generally know what's going on under the cowls so their opinions are formed by what they see.

While my primary focus in my small part of the game is obviously the best humanly possible standards of safety and performance, I also make sure the aeroplanes LOOK as good as possible - it's just good business (I think). Cheers.