PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Going from EK widebody Capt to LCC in Europe. Opinions?
Old 24th Mar 2018, 07:39
felixthecat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
April is 14 days not working. 3 daytime turnarounds, 4 layovers. About 84hrs, 30 of which are taken up with the ULR. Easy.
Sounds like a reasonable roster, however from the flip side I (until very recently) had coming on for 6 months with a roster that consisted of turnaround, layover, 1 off, turnaround, layover , 2 off, turnaround, layover, 1 off, turnaround, layover , 2 off etc etc for many months. It was exhausting. Recently the roster has relaxed a little but I think more to do with high hours than anything else. Days off were 9-10 per month during that period. Rosters were consistently running into the 90+ hours and even the last few months they have been in the high 80s.

I don't think leave is the greatest problem IF you are single and are willing to take it at any time. However for the married guys with families, it becomes much more of a challenge, peak leave isn't easy to get.

As for being expensive......well yes it is crazily so. You do get paid more than most would back in the west, however, if you are not careful it slips through your fingers. Its great to get discounts but to run around just looking for discounts so as to live within your means, doesn't exactly make you feel like a valued professional. Back home I would have also used discounts but didn't feel as strapped when I didn't.

My disposable income has most definitely been eroded over the last 2+ years. 5% VAT 3% duty, inflation 7%+ gives a real term reduction of approximately 15% in the last year alone. This coupled with lack of semi contractual 3% and no increases for several years whilst flying maximum hours does grate somewhat.

I think things generally have reached there apogee here, which is unfortunate. That said there are still reasons for young thrusters to join, that said it is unfortunate that the terms have reduced to the stage where they are the only ones we seem to attract whilst we let the experience slip out of the door.