PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Time to upgrade to FO and CN at Cathay
View Single Post
Old 23rd Mar 2018, 05:12
Numero Crunchero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GTC58

We have averaged 200 recruits pa for last 8 years including this year's plan. We have averaged 65 commands pa for last 8 years including this year's plan.

DEFOs

Rumours abound about SAA pilots coming here. For any budding DEFOs regardless of where you come from, please be aware of a couple of facts. I don't want to comment on the politics/acceptance of taking the job, just the harsh reality of it - in terms of roster/lifestyle and basings.

YOU WILL BE GETTING THE WORST ROSTERS for at least 5-8 years after getting here because you will be, and will remain, the most junior FOs bidding for roster choices. There will be somewhere between 550-800 SOs senior to you who will be upgraded over that time period. Every SO that upgrades to FO is senior to you in terms of roster bidding/bases/lifestyle choices.

If you are told you will likely get a basing - you are being misled. There are 100s and 100s of pilots who want bases. They will all be senior to you.

Time to upgrade was 10.5 years - it will blow out to 15+++ years due to the bulge of recruits over the last 10 years. I was told time to command was 3-4 years, but might blow out to 6-7 years. I got mine in 9 years.

So whether you take the job or not - at least be aware of what will really happen and not the 'half truths' you might be told in the recruitment process.

PM me if you want more details