PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UKGA magazine classified adverts scam
View Single Post
Old 21st Mar 2018, 21:26
RO13FLY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slight thread drift...

When I bought my airplane I flew from where I am now based to Gamston with a friend to pick it up, I phoned my bank while sitting at a table outside the cafe with the seller and the bank called me back a few minutes later to authenticate the request. And then we waited for the CHAPS payment to arrive at the seller’s bank so I could fly home (my friend now having departed already), We waited some more. And some more. Until eventually with darkening skies approaching the seller told me to take the aitplane as the money was bound to turn up soon. After getting home I got a call from the seller saying the money hadn’t arrived. The bank payment desk now closed, I said I would call them in the morning. My bank confirmed payment had been sent and gave me the reference number for the seller but his bank confirmed no receipt. And so this went on for two days by which time it was now a bank holiday weekend. I had some guy’s pride and joy which was now in engineering having the radios stripped out and upgraded (not at my home base to add to the confusion) and the money I had paid the guy was seemingly lost. We were both quite concerned by now and he even threatened to call the police thinking he had been scammed. After the long weekend, my bank called to say they had screwed up and it got sorted out next day but I really felt for the other guy as he had been very trusting to let a complete stranger just fly off into the sunset with his airplane and log books. Not sure I would have done the same :-)