PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter crashed at Perth Airport
View Single Post
Old 20th Mar 2018, 11:10
Sir Niall Dementia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Total thread drift;

Back in the mid 1990's I flew into Sumburgh in an AS332 having gone round the houses all day. P2 was an unusual character whose name still causes shivers down the spines of many pilots in the Aberdeen crew rooms. Having imbibed a lake of coffee I had a real need to relieve some pressure before the last sector to Aberdeen. I asked if he minded if I jumped out first and dashed to the gents which was just inside the terminal door while he started the RR re-fuel. He agreed, we stopped and I leapt out (leaping was still possible then) and dashed for the bog.

Mighty relieved I was just going back theough the door to the aircraft when the P2 passed me on his way in. There was a brief, confused look on his face and then he turned round. Our Puma was on spot, running, being re-fueled, in the dark, in a 30-40kt wind and rain. I still reckon that he and I dressed in suits, lifejackets and flying boots were pretty close to Olympic record times as we ran for the aircraft.

The pax had been removed during the re-fuel process, only the bowser driver was nearby, and no-one else saw us. He would certainly have been fired, and I would have been a P2 again by the following morning.

SND