PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Engineers Salary
View Single Post
Old 27th Sep 2003, 18:57
asheng

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Snoop

Blacksheep,

Couple of points to make here.

One,I also did a while with Big Airways and found the situation of that having a degree was a very rapid way of advancement.It was just a shame that the degree holding whizzkids didn't have a clue what they were talking about or doing by and large.Thus this rendered them pretty ineffective in the field of aircraft maintenance,which was our primary function at the time.It also meant that they were not very cost effective by virtue of the fact stated above.

But the company would rather have a vast number of ineffective expensive graduates on there payroll than invest in training to overcome the shortage of licensed engineers to allow there operations to be conducted with a modicum of safety. If allowed they would happily do away with all licensed engineers if they could and probably will soon be issuing all degree holder a JAR66 "c" licence as a way of saving valuble resourses (i.e money).

At this point the situation will become comical.

A question I was asked at a production meeting by a highly qualified graduate engineer in charge progress of our aircraft on its C check was :-

"From the previous shift meeting handover/report (late shift the previous day) we can assume that all flap functions will be started today as per the flow chart and this will be your teams responsibility?"

I asked "Have you surveyed the aircraft on the other side of the door here,the one in the hangar?"

His answer was " Yes,why?"

"Because if you have then you will surely have noticed that the trailing edge flaps are not yet fitted to the aircraft, they are the long thingys on the trestles and my guess is that to function them we would be advised to fit them first wouldn't we?"

At this point the meeting was concluded and the chap was given a guided tour of the aircraft in bits.His comment was that on his flow chart productivity invested was showing that the aircraft was nearing completion. :- OOPS

This was not an isolated incident its a shame to say!

Point two,

Want to look at my pay slip,its a lot more than 36k?

Ps. Wheres Ghengis?

He's normally got a point or ten to make when these posts are about or has he taken early redundency?