PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet dives to avoid another plane; 4 are hurt
Old 27th Sep 2003, 18:26
Surditas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd still like to know what happened with the original near hit...

Interesting thread, this one. The US is the biggest economy in the world (I think California is the world's fourth biggest. That may change if Arnie gets in...) and, consequently, has the biggest military and probably the widest spread of interest in the world. This is always going to be a sticking point with anyone who is non-American, ie: the rest of us. Most Yanks I know genuinely believe it is their nation's manifest destiny to bring freedom to the world and seem a little taken aback when a nation doesn't equate freedom with having the 101st Airborne camp out in the backyard.
Part of the problem is the Yanks, being the biggest, never have to adapt to another country's way of doing business: it's always us that has to do it the American way.
Still, I like Yanks, some of my best friends etc...
One of the things I like about them is they are so easy to bait. It doesn't take much prompting for some of them to have a big dummy spit, take their bat and ball home and sook.

The Kiwis, on the other hand, appreciate good banter. They have to, what with the All Blacks being such a bunch of girls, their terrible beer, the weather and all those sheep.

Oh, and the Poms. Not just their rugby team, but every sporting team they've ever fielded ever in the history of history. That, plus having Aussies working in every pub in London.

Also...

B Sousa, you mentioned what would happen if the Americans went home. In the case of Iraq who knows? Maybe the Shi'a would take over, link up with Iran and Saudi and create an Arab super state.
Maybe the Arabs would fall back on what they do best: fighting each other.
For me, it would mean back home to good old Oz and a happy boy I'd be.
I can tell you a war in Iraq or no war in Iraq made not a bit of difference to Australia, but we are here anyway, listening to people like you bleat on about America "carrying the can" for everyone else.
I do think the world is a better place without Uncle Saddam and I do think Iraq can emerge as a modern democracy and an example to the rest of the Arab world. I don't think we can conquer every country that disagrees with you. Some people don't like you or disagree with you. Might as well accept it and move on.