PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter crashed at Perth Airport
View Single Post
Old 17th Mar 2018, 00:30
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 433 Likes on 228 Posts
This debate seems to be going the same way as the argument that single engined helicopters are safer than twins because they don't crash where singles aren't allowed to fly in the first place.

As far as I'm concerned, pilots and engineers work together best as a team and should always endeavour to do so. I do my best to help engineers do the best they can to help me have a fully serviceable aircraft to fly, even if it means carrying out tasks that are not strictly my responsibility.

A helicopter with rotors turning is a potentially very dangerous machine. Starting one up is relatively straightforward, but keeping it safe once the rotors start turning is a different matter, especially when operating diagnostic equipment which provides a distraction. For example, if ground resonance occurs, there are two options - either shut down the engine/s and apply the rotor brake, which needs to be done very rapidly to be effective, or to lift off. Obviously, anyone not fully trained to fly the helicopter has only the former option, whereas a pilot has both.