PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Alaska Airlines or Air NZ??? Any tips from fellow pilots?
Old 12th Mar 2018, 07:35
Sfopilot207

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Guys Thanks for the feedback.

Here are some of the details of our New TA with Alaska/Virgin. As of April 1st, 2018 :

1st year FO Pay : $ 89.89/hr which comes out to ~ $90k USD/Yr
12th year FO Pay : $173.74/hr ~ $174k USD/Yr

1st year CA Pay : $219.25/hr ~ $220k USD/Yr
12th year CA Pay: $258.53/hr ~ $259k USD/Yr (* Hr rates x 1000)

These rates will go up another 3% for April 2019, and then our contract will be up for negotiations again in 2020.
We also get 15% of our annual wages into a retirement fund and about a 7-10% profit sharing bonus depending on company performance for the financial year.

With the exchange rates our 12 yr CA's will make close to what a WB CA likely will make on Air NZ from what I have heard.

As far as Command times, It is running about 5-6 years on the Airbus Fleet and about 4-5 years on the Boeing Fleet . This is the place where I am a little stuck at since I just finished 2 years here and so command in not to far away.

In the great US we are governed by the Railway Labor Act, which is basically a century year old labor law that makes it illegal for pilots to simply go on strike. Instead we have to go through a lengthy process of mediation and other bloody hoops to fight for anything we want.

All these rates we a result of forced arbitration by company management, since they did not want to honor our unions request and therefore was sent to a arbitration lawyer who whipped up these new pay rates.

I always was keen on WB flying. I am not sure if I will be ever able to get that here. Rumors are that there is another merger for us with another major in the not to distant future.

Anyone one care to chime in on their experience of WB flying vs. NB flying? How is the lifestyle, fatigue, ect..???

Cheers for all the posts on this thread so far!! Really gaining alot of info.