PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Eva Air present working conditions
View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2018, 17:39
PalmtreePilot74

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bladecreep
Hey guys I'm new to this forum so please take it easy on me. Couldn't find much up to date info on EVA so I started this thread.
Currently a Regional FO in the US and looking at making a move abroad. I'm ATP rated with around 2k TT , of which 1700 is turbine and 500 jet. 500 is part 121. My only type is the ERJ175 so if I want to move to Asia my options seem to be Eva, Cathay and possibly ANA once I build more time. Are there others?
I really like Taiwan and could easily live there. Hong Kong I'm not so sure....

My question is what is Eva like as an employer? They pay twice what I'm making here and I'd rather live there than in the states so it makes sense but I'm not gonna jump blindly and head first without getting some Intel. I'd eventually like to become an expat captain making decent money. Don't really care about the type of aircraft just more the quality of life. Are the schedules utter abuse and slavery or are they somewhat decent? Is management adversarial or supportive ? Thanks for any info or ideas you guys can give.
Why would you want to leave the U.S. market in a time of the greatest amount of hiring and expansion in decades? First off, don't leave the regional market until you get a good amount of jet PIC to make yourself more marketable. If you come to Asia and don't enjoy the first outfit you land at, with your low experience, you will stagnate and bounce around to SIC jobs for a long time, especially in the Contract world, which is much of Asia's airlines.

Having almost 20 years in the Airline business and now working for one of the best contract gigs out there, I can tell you that there is NOTHING in Asia that compares to how good and easy that you will have it in the US airlines. If your main drive in life is that you only want to live somewhere in Asia, then that's a whole other conversation.

Black Crow summed it up pretty well for all the Asian countries that hire foreign pilots. If you want to advance to a career airline and have a rewarding career, best advice is to stay where your at and build PIC time and then reevaluate when you have a solid resume. Obviously, things can change in a heartbeat in the US market and the rest of the World, but you can always move to Asia if things go bad in the US. If you were get hired some where in Asia and not upgrade or have to wait to upgrade for 10-12 years, you will not be marketable with a resume full of SIC time, even if its thousands of hours in a wide body.

I would suggest reading a lot more on this board, and think real hard about leaving the US.