PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How to obtain FAA ATP when having an ICAO ATP
Old 5th Mar 2018, 17:49
havick

Received 46 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by MarkerInbound
As pointed out above to get the ATP ME certificate you will have to complete the ATP CTP, pass the knowledge test and pass a checkride. Each one of those requires some time and money. To add the helicopter to the ATP you have to have 200 hours rotorcraft of which 75 are PIC, pass the ATP-H written test and pass a checkride. Those also require time and money. While getting the 61.75 piggyback doesn't cost much in time or money, it also doesn't get you any benefit. You will still will most likely have to get a PVT H rating to get the 75 hours and that will require a written and a checkride.

I know nothing about the helicopter job market but I wonder how marketable someone is with 200 hours of light piston helo time.
Being an ex helicopter SAR and firefighting captain (Bell 412) and examiner that recently made the jump to airlines, I can tell you there are approximately zero jobs out there for a 200 hour helo pilot that pay anything.

Your fixed wing hours count for absolute zero when looking for helo jobs. You are basically iligible to fly tourist flights or instruct as a junior instructor.

Hope this helps your decision.