PPRuNe Forums


North America Still the busiest region for commercial aviation.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11th Feb 2018, 19:01   #1 (permalink)
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: US
Posts: 7
How to obtain FAA ATP when having an ICAO ATP

Hi friends;

I have Comm/multi/instr FAA and ICAO ATPL with a type rating currently flying overseas for an int'l major and will like to obtain my FAA ATP. I know the regs changed, but for circumstances beyond my control I wasn't able to do it before the new system. Any good tips how to do it now, greatly appreciatted.

cheers!!
colofly72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Feb 2018, 20:22   #2 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Alaska, PNG, etc.
Age: 54
Posts: 925
When did ICAO start issuing ATPL's ? This is a new thing.
A Squared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Feb 2018, 22:06   #3 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 886
Quote:
Originally Posted by colofly72 View Post
Hi friends;

I have Comm/multi/instr FAA and ICAO ATPL with a type rating currently flying overseas for an int'l major and will like to obtain my FAA ATP. I know the regs changed, but for circumstances beyond my control I wasn't able to do it before the new system. Any good tips how to do it now, greatly appreciatted.

cheers!!
- license verification
- atp-ctp course (useless but required)
- atp-Mel written
- atp Flight test

You will need the correct visa or use the VWP depending on your country, also TSA clearance for the atp-ctp course and a separate TSA clearance for the flight prep and Flight test with which ever school you go through. Also need an FAA medical.

This is all assuming you meet all the requirements of part 61.

You may not need the license verification and your icao ATP is irrrelevant in second thoughts as you are just upgrading you FAA license to an ATP but all other requirements stand.

Good luck
havick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Feb 2018, 06:16   #4 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: london
Age: 54
Posts: 314
First tip - revisit the ATP requirements of part 61 and make sure that you have the necessary hours and training -- obvious thing to say but it is a useful checklist.

ATP-CTP - not sure that you do in fact need TSA.

ATP training and flight test on MEP - no TSA required. ( since you already have a stand alone CPL/IR/MEP). Also no endorsement required for checkride as you hold equivalent foreign licence.

Getting the type rating added to your FAA certificate - sorry, can't help you on that.
custardpsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Feb 2018, 06:55   #5 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Kentucky/Tokyo
Posts: 121
https://www.flightschoolcandidates.g...e=c&section=WN

Here is everything you should need to know about the TSA Alien Flight Training Program. Since you already have your FAA Certificate then adding an ATP will not require TSA. However, I believe if you are wanting to add the type rating then you will need the TSA check.
jrmyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Feb 2018, 14:50   #6 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 886
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmyl View Post
https://www.flightschoolcandidates.g...e=c&section=WN

Here is everything you should need to know about the TSA Alien Flight Training Program. Since you already have your FAA Certificate then adding an ATP will not require TSA. However, I believe if you are wanting to add the type rating then you will need the TSA check.
You definitely need TSA for ATP-CTP due to the Sim requirement.
havick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Feb 2018, 09:36   #7 (permalink)
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: US
Posts: 7
Thank for the replies, as per TSA, US citizens need as well TSA clrnc??, and the ATP-CTP course, any thoughts if could be waived due to airline experience (currently working) or costs??, I tried to check with the FSDO once few months back, but they had no clear info about it

thanks again!!
colofly72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Feb 2018, 13:00   #8 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 886
Quote:
Originally Posted by colofly72 View Post
Thank for the replies, as per TSA, US citizens need as well TSA clrnc??, and the ATP-CTP course, any thoughts if could be waived due to airline experience (currently working) or costs??, I tried to check with the FSDO once few months back, but they had no clear info about it

thanks again!!
No US citizens do not need TSA clearance. Anyone else does.

No there are no waivers for prior experience, you need the ATP-CTP certificate in hand to sit the ATP-MEL written.

By the way the ATP-CTP course is not a prep course for the written at all. You will still need to study gleim/dauntless etc software in your own time.

The ATP-CTP is a complete waste of time. Only real benefit maybe is new guys to jets get a little insight to how they handle prior to starting airline training.
havick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Feb 2018, 21:58   #9 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: USA
Posts: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by colofly72 View Post
Thank for the replies, as per TSA, US citizens need as well TSA clrnc??, and the ATP-CTP course, any thoughts if could be waived due to airline experience (currently working) or costs??, I tried to check with the FSDO once few months back, but they had no clear info about it

thanks again!!
As mentioned earlier, no waivers for previous airline experience. Heck we had a current CX 777 captain on our CTP course. At least he had some fun flying the A320 sim for his trouble. 😁
VH DSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Feb 2018, 10:58   #10 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Oceanside, CA.
Posts: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Squared View Post
When did ICAO start issuing ATPL's ? This is a new thing.
Somehow, the rest of understood exactly what he meant.
Bonway is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 12:00.


1996-2012 The Professional Pilots Rumour Network

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1