PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Modular V Integrated (Merged) - Look here before starting a new thread!
Old 5th Mar 2018, 14:52
GAPilot261087

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1. Yes. FR for example will consider just about anyone for a license and don't really bother with how you got it. They focus more on the sim assessment I'm told. You will no doubt have to pay for the type rating which is around 30k on top of training but you get jet time, a job and a good salary of about 50k after a few years on the line which is good. EZY sometimes take people on from modular or integrated atpl backgrounds but they have the MPL cadet programme so they are an unlikely bet unless you train with a school such as FTE,OAA or CTC who can recommend you and get you on to a midway programme for an MPL license.

2.Depends. You will never know if you don't try. I would actually recommend emailing an aviation HR rep if you can find someone online and ask the question. There is a business called airline prep which actually run programmes tailored for airline assessments where usually a rep of the airline you are interviewing for will do a mock interview with you. You can always contact them and see if someone will speak to you from an airline you maybe wish to apply for and give you a realistic answer. As I say though, Some airlines don't bother about where you trained and grades etc. Overall, If you have the licence then you can fly and reality is airlines need pilots or they don't make money... and there is a shortage! Once you have the flying time you can apply for wherever you want.. BA, Are Lingus, easy etc

3. Yes. I do modular learning with CAPT Ground school who I would recommend.The notes they provide are very good and the author and head of training is highly recommended and experienced. I also have the Bristol Ground School material and know them to be similar to CAPT in terms of experience they have in terms of teachers and quality of material. BGS may be easier for you in terms of travel for the refresher weeks depending on your location. I stay in Scotland where CAPT run revision weeks and I have a CAA exam centre 5 mins from my house so thats a good portion of the reason why I choose my ground school provider. Any approved modular ground school will provide you with all the material and you learn at home. The courses are set in modules and you will receive refresher weeks before the exam weeks. It is without doubt achievable if you are willing to work hard at it.

4. If you wish to work then yes. You will know yourself from experience the burden of being faced with 80k upwards in debt with no job guarantee when people paying half of that can be just as qualified and have as good a chance of a job whilst being financially stable if they pay as they fly. Modular is financially easier if you can work and fly at the same time. Only thing is you would be wise to ensure your training timeline doesn't have huge gaps between licences and learning because you may find you loose knowledge which can show in assessments.

5. Lots of schools in England. Bournemouth, FTA Global are reputable, Stapleford, Aeros, Airways flight training or Oxford and CTC if you are completley sold on the whole propaganda they throw at aspiring pilots louring them into ridiculously over priced training ... Plenty in reasonably close proximity to London. FTA in particular operate DA40 aircraft with modern glass cockpits so I'd check them out, I wish I could have done my PPL on something like that!

6. For me, my biggest fear is to be stuck doing something that I maybe reasonably like but know that there is something else I really wish I could be doing instead. I am 21 with a PPL but I work for an airline and see the people who I aspire to be like coming in for their flights and wish I could just be doing their job already. It's inspiring though and keeps me going towards my career ambition.

Hope it works out for you!