PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Which is the best helicopter for training?
Old 4th Mar 2018, 17:00
Torquetalk

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by [email protected]
Torquetalk, I've done autos and EOLs in an R22 - autos are OK once you get the lever down but the Nr range for auto isn't very high (especially compared to the G2) and the EOL is very exciting (compared to 3-blade heads like Gazelle and Squirrel).

If the G2 has been certified in the way Maff says, that is far, far superior to either the 22 or 44.

As an instructor teaching ab-initio students I would be far happier with some room for student handling error in a Cabri than walking the tightrope that is the R22.
Can’t disagree with anything said. Only pointing out the glide characteristics of an R22 are excellent. RPM range is 80 -100 iirc, but management of the lever and cyclic needs to be timely but circumspect. Don’t think the R22 is the best training aircraft by any means. But it does what it says on the tin and is a great little aircraft if flown sensibly.

Liftman, the R22 reacts much more quickly than an R44 due to its mass. The R44 is quite sluggish in comparison. I would chose the R22 as it will help you be timely in your reactions, but will also quickly let you know if you are over controlling (!). Why not include 5 hours R44 towards a TR or the SFAR requirement?

TT