PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways' Director of Flight Operations
Old 2nd Mar 2018, 11:13
wheelie my boeing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pilotless, to say "signify a weak mind to give up a great package over something that doesn't actually matter that much" really does show your ignorance. If he really did resign over possible pilot training being outsourced then I have a lot of respect for him. Whoever replaces him, if they do accept outsourcing when it comes to pilot training, has absolutely no respect from me whatsoever. Quite simply if he felt that it would affect safety and yet the board COO etc wanted to continue with it and wouldn't listen then what else can he do? Stay in role as someone stuffs it up due to poor training and then say "I told you so"?

I don't know why he left but the rumours of training being outsourced are appauling if true. The airline has cut in many areas - quite rightly - to save money over the past decade. Pilot training is one area I don't believe money should be cut from as it stands.

BA's pilot training is of a very high standard, the trainers are very skilled at their jobs. The biggest part of a trainers job is the "how". If the trainer doesn't work for BA or fly BA aircraft and use the SOP's day in day out then they don't have the knowledge nor experience to know HOW to apply the SOP's, they just know what the manual says. Ask the guys who did their BA A320 type ratings at CTC, they came back to BA and had issues due to the differences they'd received from CTC.

Ultimately it could be something totally different, like once again a shortage of pilots (who said that?!) and potential issues this summer. Supposedly JSS can't cover the work as it's saying we need more pilots, hence it's introduction has been delayed. Whatever happens, I think it's fair to say that most BA guys now couldn't think any lower of management and will presume the worst whenever a rumour starts.