PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - nppl (m) to nppl (ssea) pros and cons?
View Single Post
Old 27th Feb 2018, 11:48
Genghis the Engineer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts
Pro: Back seat if you want one, longer range, better payload, ability to (eventually) add the ability to fly at night and in cloud, wider range of aeroplanes, most of them will have cabin heaters. With a bit of suitable training, much better able to handle poor visibility and generally poor conditions, much easier to rent aeroplanes if you want to. Some aerobatic types are available.

Con: Less friendly and enthusiastic fellow pilots on average, having to deal with LAA not BMAA for any mods or repairs, higher running costs, need longer runways. You may find that product support for some of the older (but very enjoyable to fly) group A aeroplanes is a bit patchier than for microlights.

Just is: You'll need to learn to fly more procedurally, a few exams and tests.

Me? I have flown both for a couple of decades, and enjoy both. Choose your poison.

If you want a microlight pilot friendly instructor to do your SSEA rating, by all means drop me an email. I do some part time instructing at a school in the midlands, and am happier than the vast majority of SEP instructors to get into lighter kitplanes - if you are going to buy your own, there's much to be said for doing the course in the aeroplane you'll subsequently be flying.

Just a suggested type for what I suspect is your "mission" - have a look at the Rollason Condor.

G

Last edited by Genghis the Engineer; 27th Feb 2018 at 12:05.